The Cause of Internet and TV Addiction?
· "A single stressful event
· A period of emotional stress
· Temporary pain
· Disturbances in the sleeping environment (noise, light, strange bed, etc.)
· Upsets in the normal sleep pattern, such as jet lag"
· An underlying medical condition [i.e.
· Stimulants [e.g.
· Acute or chronic stress
· Chronic pain [e.g. fibromyalgia]
· Some medications [i.e.
· A different sleep disorder [e.g.
· Poor sleep habits [e.g.
"Your circadian rhythm is your body's 'biological clock,' or 24-hour cycle. The 24-hour circadian rhythm controls functions such as:
Circadian Rhythms: Problems
"Your circadian rhythms can be affected by light or darkness, which can make your body think it is time to sleep or wake up."
"Your internal clock might get thrown off track and you might find yourself going to bed too early and then rising too early, or, in contrast, staying up and rising too late."
Circadian Rhythms: Melatonin
"Difficulty ‘turning off’ obsessive compulsive thoughts and actions"
“Many CFS and FMS patients wake too early. To combat this,
· Try going to bed earlier so that you are in accord with your sleep cycle and can take advantage of the deepest level of sleep (there is a body temperature drop of about a degree at your body’s natural sleep time).
· I have also found that spending some time relaxing before bedtime and/or listening to a calming book on tape is helpful in quieting the mind and relaxing the muscles and can improve the quality of my sleep [palming exercise may be helpful].
· If you experience muscle spasms, pains and cramps that disrupt sleep, try taking guaifenesin [I don’t recommend guaifenesin], which, over time, may reduce these symptoms. (Note: you must be on an adequate dose of guaifenesin for long enough and avoid hidden salicylates for it to work. See my web site.)
· If you have hypoglycemia, a low carbohydrate diet can also help sleep quality, energy levels and cognitive abilities.
· Reducing sugar and carbohydrate intake and reducing food allergies and sensitivities has also been important to improving my sleep and other symptoms [by decreasing serotonin levels and increasing melatonin levels?]…”